CAL SHOOTERS

Go Back   CAL SHOOTERS > GENERAL FIREARMS SECTION > GENERAL FIREARM DISCUSSION

Notices

Old 10-23-2014, 10:31 PM

Question Pistol weapon lights- Yes or No?

Have had this debate lately on a weapon light mounted to the frame of your HD pistol. I like the idea and know the LEOs use these lights alot.

My argument is that if a bad guy is in close enough to engage you, he will regardless of a light on your pistol or not. Giving him an "aiming point"? No, because you coulkd be blinding him and again, if he is late close, engagement is evident and youre gonna need to be lighting your target ASAP anyways and dont have time ti fiddle around with hand lights.

Here is a video by Nutnfancy on the TLR3 and he addresses the issue.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l9jAKf5gNY
Old 11-02-2014, 02:47 PM

I use a Viridian light/laser unit on my P220. Seems like a nice unit, same width as pistol. I have it set for light only. I had a flash light on a shelf near where I have the gun hidden but the family would use it and not put it back. Now I know there's no chance to be lightless if an emergency ever happens.
The unit came with a tac-loc holster but it's not usable as a carry as there is no retention.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:48 PM

No lights on any of mine.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 PM

I've been thinking about this myself as I consider my next gun purchase, most likely a 1911. I buy guns for defense, so the idea of keeping both hands on the gun and every other reason of having a rail and a light are good enough for me...
Old 12-04-2014, 12:27 AM

I have a light on a XD, but I would just as soon use a small hand held flash light.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Your best defense in Home Defense is stealth. Stay dark and quiet until the BG actually confronts you. Gun in one hand, super bright flashlight in the other. Leave the flashlight off until there's an actual confrontation. Why advertise where you are by lighting up a gun?

I'm always laughing at TV shows, when the LEO characters walk into a dark warehouse, guns in hand, flashing flashlights all over the place. And the BG's are waiting in the dark to see those lights and shoot at them. Dumb...
Old 12-07-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Your best defense in Home Defense is stealth. Stay dark and quiet until the BG actually confronts you. Gun in one hand, super bright flashlight in the other. Leave the flashlight off until there's an actual confrontation. Why advertise where you are by lighting up a gun?

I'm always laughing at TV shows, when the LEO characters walk into a dark warehouse, guns in hand, flashing flashlights all over the place. And the BG's are waiting in the dark to see those lights and shoot at them. Dumb...
I agree. Nobody should know your home better than you do. Unless you are a person that's always moving your furniture around and forget where everything is in the dark.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:14 AM

Who said anything about lighting up the gun and flashing it all over the place?

Waiting in stealth sounds like a good idea, but it also sounds like a way for some dirtbag city lawyer to accuse you of lying in wait, setting a trap for the "poor burglar." Also, I think everyone needs to think about what we're saying here. Are you sure you want to wait for someone to break into your home before you take some sort of action? Once you've allowed an intruder or.......multiple intruders (?) into your home, it's going to be that much more difficult to defend yourself. If you are awake when, God forbids, someone is trying to break into your home, the best thing to do is to seek cover while announcing to the intruders that you are calling the police, have a firearm, and will use it if necessary. This way, you will hopefully discourage the bad guys from even entering your home in the first place. Once your perimeter is breached and the intruder (s) start making their way towards you, it's a completely different ball game.

Back to the lighting question, I don't know about the rest of you, but in a high adrenaline situation with possibly less than ideal room dynamics with low or zero light, all of which is compounded by the fact that I have ZERO training with a firearm during a life or death situation, all I know is that I want BOTH of my sweaty, shaky, unsure hands on the firearm while I try to regulate my breathing and nerves. Trying to fumble with a light in one hand while lining up your firearm in another is something I know "I" can't do; kudos to those of you that can...

Last edited by myk; 12-31-2014 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Back to the lighting question, I don't know about the rest of you, but in a high adrenaline situation with possibly less than ideal room dynamics with low or zero light, all of which is compounded by the fact that I have ZERO training with a firearm during a life or death situation, all I know is that I want BOTH of my sweaty, shaky, unsure hands on the firearm while I try to regulate my breathing and nerves. Trying to fumble with a light in one hand while lining up your firearm in another is something I know "I" can't do; kudos to those of you that can...
Ya I would probably be needing to act quickly and with both hands on my weapon.